Friday, July 1, 2011

SEW what's new?

(Singer Promise)

Well, I broke down and bought a sewing machine that went on sale at Tarjay (Target pronounced fancy). We have a love/hate relationship going on right now. I have a stack of books of cute things that I'm dying to make, but the only thing that's standing in my way of making all kinds of cuteness is one, very tiny, insignificant detail... I DON'T know how to sew! :/

All I have to say, is thank goodness for Youtube videos like this one, and for other Paper Dolls named Lauren, and Ruth! Quick tip: if you are thinking of buying a beginner's sewing machine, my advice is to buy one with a drop-in bobbin rather than a front loading bobbin. Trust me, as a beginner, the front loading bobbin is a pain in the tooshie.

Last Saturday, we were determined to get the sewing machine up and running. After a couple of hours of fighting with a bobbin, Lauren got it working!


We practiced sewing paper :)... don't judge, we have to start somewhere, right?! ha!

As soon as I have a sewing project that's presentable to share, I'll post it. For now, I'm sticking to good old trusty paper, and glue! This is what I finished today: a birthday gift for my mom. It's a brag book like this one, but of her yummy little grand babies.

Go ahead Jared, and Jace... be cuter! I dare you.

Have a happy and safe weekend, everyone!

7 comments:

  1. Sewing is my first love!!!! You'll be great at it. Love the little book. Great job. Happy stitches make happy crafters. I just made that up :/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't sew either. :P But I'm really good at sewing crooked lines on paper! :) Love that brag book! Ma's going to love it! But don't forget to wrap it in flastic. Ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, mine is a front loading one, too. What's the matter with the front loaders?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Julie! How long have you been sewing?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Cynthia! You can, too, sew! The drop-in loader is easy-kapeasy compared to the front loader. Ours kept getting tangled and the thread kept ripping... practice makes perfect. We're trying!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Becky! Subscribe and follow us :)

    ReplyDelete

.